Tuesday, November 16, 2010

i beg to differ. a story about contradicting mothers and non-traditional weddings.

actual conversations. names have not been changed to protect the identity of the participants.

me: i don't really like the idea of bridesmaids
my mom: but you have to have bridesmaids.
me: why?
my mom: because who will sign your wedding certificate? and who will throw you showers*?
*showers, those awkward things no one likes attending. gosh, how would i ever live without one of those?

me: i don't really like that idea mom.
my mom: well you already got your shoes.
me: yes exactly, my shoes. for my wedding.

me: i don't think i want flowers.
my mom: you have to have flowers.
me: why?
my mom: don't think it'll be weird you to walk down an aisle not holding flowers?
me: don't you think it's weird that people spend way too much money on flowers that just die the next day?

me (five minutes ago): i think i found an alternative to a bouquet.
my mom: whats that?
me: brooch bouquets.
my mom (in absolute disgust): brooch? bouquets?
me: they're cute, really.
my mom (again, in absolute disgust): oh ok. i'll take your word for it.

well mom, to quote the always fabulous children program, reading rainbow, "you don't have to take my word for it." feast your eyes on these...



and my ultimate favorite, the color-scheme-friendly variety...


brooch bouquets are everywhere . they're such a unique, quaint alternative to the overpriced floral bouquet. you can ask your guests to donate a piece (so you carry a bit of of all of them with you down the aisle), raid your grandmother's jewelry collection (because no one was classy or fashionable as your grandmother), or hit up local vintage stores, ebay, and thrift shops for cheap additions to your wedding decor.


i hold my ground, brooch bouquets are awesome and moms aren't always right*.
*but they are most of the time, its a weird magical mom power

3 comments:

  1. I think they are aweseome. And you're playing this all wrong, with you mom. First you have to offer something so ridiculous that your next offer of alternative cool idea sounds great. Example:

    "mom, instead of carrying flowers I think i'd like to carry an actual bleeding animal heart. maybe even still pumping. what says love more than that? oh? you don't like that idea? Okay, well how about a brooch boquet?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. you don't want bridesmaids??!! ;( no, i hear ya, sheesh. don't get me wrong, it's super exciting to be asked to be one but i wouldn't mind saving the money and buying you an extra special present :) either way, i'd be dancing the night away with you - but i'm honored you asked me to be one :)

    btw, i think kerry has a pretty good idea there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ashley - it's your wedding! do what you want! it will be your memory. well, and jason's too. i'm behind you all the way and so, of course, will everyone else, including ... i'm gonna say it, mom!

    ReplyDelete